- How much faster is DSL than dial-up?
- How many hours can I use this per month?
- Do I have to sign a contract?
- What is the tech support phone number?
- Why don't my download speeds match the speed I am purchasing?
- What does my PC need to use DSL?
It depends on the speed you purchase. It can be up to approximately 25 times faster.
How many hours can I use this per month?Unlimited.
Do I have to sign a contract?No.
What is the tech support phone number?1-800-205-1110
Why don't my download speeds match the speed I am purchasing?There can be many factors which can impact the speed including your computer, the Internet sites themselves, atmospheric conditions, distance away from equipment and others.
What does my PC need to use DSL?Your PC is an important part of the DSL service. This equipment is your responsibility. Here is what you will need:
- CLtel DSL customers are required to use modems/ethersets furnished by the telephone company for compatibility reasons. External modems/ethersets are available for purchase at $275.00 or lease at $9.95 per month. A one year warranty is included with the purchase. (Not needed with CLvision Packages.)
- A quality Network Interface Card, such as the 3COM Etherlink, the Linksys Etherfast card, or a Netgear card. You need a 10 baseT NIC or the 10/100 baseT card. Without the NIC, a PC cannot communicate with the DSL modem. Charges for this work and installation scheduling arrangements are your responsibility. CLtel assumes no responsibility or liability for the NIC or its installation. You should contact your hardware vendor or a local computer company listed in the Yellow Pages.
- The PC operating system must be a Windows 98 or better to receive CLtel technical support.
- The PC must possess a 300 MHz Pentium processor or better, and at least 32 Mb of RAM.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher web browser must reside on the PC.
- The DSL modem and incoming phone line should be plugged into a surge protection device to prevent potential adverse effects of power outages/surges on the modem processor.
The NIC card must be installed in your PC before the CLtel technician can do the activation. If you don't have one now, please call us to set an appointment time for the activation after your card is installed.
This broadband service requires Level 3 twisted pair wiring. Quad wiring which is present in some homes may not suport it and may need to be replaced by you. The CLtel technician will make a recommendation during the on-site visit to your home or business.
- A CLtel analog telephone line.
- A CLtel Internet account (included in the price of the DSL line.)